FIRST, create a deal in Highrise for the proposal
- Include as many details as possible – price, description of what we’re scoping for the client, potential payment terms, estimated signature date, etc.
- Also add any client information to the contacts section to ensure we have the most up-to-date client contact info.
Begin drafting the proposal
Outline each proposal based on proposal template (see attached)
Be as specific as possible in outlining what deliverables and services the client will get for each project scope (i.e. press-ready pdf of a postcard to include concepting, graphic design, copywriting and project management) – see examples of past proposals/SOW’s for reference
When scoping out budgets for each deliverable/line-item, be sure to multiply your total budget for each line item by 1.2 to allow for a 20% buffer
- To come up with job estimates, multiply our blended hourly rate $135 ($175 for Hector and $200 for Taylor and video) by the estimated number of hours it will take to complete the project. Be sure to consider any AE time if there is no current or proposed AE/Brand Management retainer. For example, if we estimate a sales kit to take approx. 80 hours, multiply 80x135 to get a budget of $10,800. Then multiply that by 1.2 to account for a 20% buffer to get a total of $12,960.
- For 3rd party costs (printer coordination, video, web, etc.) – mark the project up by an additional 30% (multiply by 1.3)
Do not consolidate multiple line-items into one lump sum budget. If you must do this in an effort to appease a client, make a note of how much budget is allocated to each item for internal use (so Brooke knows how to invoice)
Always designate payment terms. You may even have to designate specific payment terms that differ among line items. Examples below:
- For social media and AE/PR retainers
- Monthly – due at the first of each month
- For projects less than $10,000:
- 50% due at signing | 50% due upon final deliverable
- For projects $10,000+
- 50% due at signing | 25% due upon presentation of 1st proof | 25% due upon final deliverable
- For web projects:
- 50% due at signing | 25% due upon presentation of site map | 25% due upon final deliverable/site launch
*NOTE – MEDIA should be collected 60 days in advance (prior to insertion date). Laurie’s
calendar indicates insertion dates, so brand manager should put together payment
schedule that collects each monthly installment 2 months in advance to the insertion (i.e.
we would collect payments for a March insertion/placement in January).
- All proposals should have the following sections in the terms:
- Proposal Validity (with date that the proposal is sent listed)
- Images and Fonts
- Live Files
- Signature Date
- Web proposals should always include the “ADA Compliancy” section (see Investar or other recent web proposal for reference)
- Proposals with media placements should always include the “media placement” section